Installation

Tutorials for <a href="http://www.phpbbstyles.com/viewtopic.php?t=356">eXtreme Styles mod</a> for phpBB 2.0.

Moderator: Moderators

Installation

Postby PostBot on Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:47 am

How to install eXtreme Styles mod

1. Unpack zip file, upload contents to your forum. When you will be uploading file includes/template.php you will need to overwrite original file

2. Create directory "cache" inside your forum and change access mode to 777. If you don't know how to change access mode refer to this document.

That's all. It is one of simpliest mods to install.
Do NOT pm me, I don't visit this forum anymore, don't own it, don't provide any support and don't moderate.
PostBot

Postby the green guy on Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:17 pm

Ok so I feel like a knucklehead because it says this shoud take no time to set up, but I am not quite sure exactly where to put these new files???

Do I put the admin files such as "admin_xs_config.php" in the admin folder in my forum. What about the .tpl files? Do they go into the folder where the template I am using resides?

I found the template.php file but was afraid to change it without having everything figured out.

Also I am using WSFTP and am trying to change the chmod value of my cache folder, but when I right click on it I don't see that as an option.

Sorry about this. I am an experienced web designer, but mostly front-end PHP is still pretty new to me.
the green guy

Postby Riker on Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:35 pm

Step 1 in the install.txt file tells you where each file goes...the tpl files go into the stlyes admin dir that you are using, templates.php goes into includes dir, admin_* files go into the admin dir..., etc :)

as for chmodding, when you right click on that dir, do you see a properties? chmod is under that...most ftp clients have 2 windows...you would need to right-click in the right most window...just depends on how yours is setup...if this does not work, look at the help section in your ftp client to see if it says how to chmod...
Riker

Postby the green guy on Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:18 pm

OK everything appears to be installed. That is my forum didn't crash. I reset my chmod settings and all looks like it is good. How can I tell if it is installed. I wanted to run this version for a lot of different reasons, but a big one was the banner rotation. I guess I will know if my upgrade to extreme styles worked..??
the green guy

New Debocle

Postby the green guy on Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:50 pm

Ok so I think I have the alteration process figured out. I ended up adding a printer friendly button, but the defalut text for it is "|##| -> |=|"

Which it says in the install notes, but where do I go to change that???
the green guy

Postby PostBot on Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:44 am

Sorry for late reply - I was on a business trip for several days. Thanks to Riker for helping.

To clear some things:

1. Where to upload tpl files: upload it to templates/subSilver/admin. If you have some other styles you can upload to those styles too, but it isn't required - subSilver is enough

2. How can you tell if mod is installed: when you will run forum it will create cache files in cache directory - if you see that something appeared there then mod is installed. Also you can go to admin control panel and if you see eXtreme Styles mod section and that section works then everything is installed.

3. i don't have WS_FTP, but i do have WS_FTP Pro and to change access mode in it you need to right-click on directory, select "operations" -> "ftp commands" -> "chmod".
Do NOT pm me, I don't visit this forum anymore, don't own it, don't provide any support and don't moderate.
PostBot

Postby the green guy on Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:13 pm

It's installed and running fine. Thanks for the help. I'm a first timer with this and the files looked a little daunting at first. It's not so bad once you get through your first mod. I've since installed 2 more add-on mods that are working too. Thanks for the help guys.
the green guy

Postby stathis on Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:22 am

Hello! I installed the mod but i experience a strange problem. When i install the mod and try to access the forum i just get a blank page. I restore the template.php file (the default one) and everything works fine.
Bear in mind that the mod is not installed on subsilver directory but on a different one. Does it make any difference? Do i have to make any changes?
stathis

Postby PostBot on Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:25 am

Probably there are bugs in your style that cause this. What's your forum url and style name?
PostBot

Postby stathis on Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:30 am

www.soccerboards.com/phpBB2

The name of the style is soccerboards which actually is subsilver, with changed colors. Nothing funcy.
stathis

Postby PostBot on Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:34 am

Probably you have some error in script /home/soccerbo/www/needsAuth2.php that causes it to exit. Check that script for functions like die() or exit(). Or paste contents of that script here.
PostBot

Postby stathis on Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:40 am

<?php
// session_start();
if (!isset($_SESSION['uname']) && !isset($AuthOptional)) {
if (isset($_SESSION['redirectionLink']))
$link = $_SESSION['redirectionLink'];
else
$link = "/login.php";
echo("<META http-equiv=\"refresh\" content=\"0;URL=$link\">");
unset($_SESSION['redirectionLink']);
exit;
}

function displayLogin() {
if (isset($_SESSION['uname'])) {
unset($_SESSION['redirectionLink']);
echo("\n<TABLE border=0 cellspacing=0 cellpadding=2 width=100%><TR><TD><FONT size=-1>\n");
echo("You are signed in as <B>{$_SESSION['fname']} {$_SESSION['lname']}.</B>\n");
echo("</FONT></TD><TD align=right><FONT size=-1>\n");
echo("<A href=\"/contact_us.php\"><FONT color=#0033FF>Contact Us</FONT></A> &nbsp; &nbsp;\n");
echo("<A href=\"/password.php\"><FONT color=#0033FF>Change Password</FONT></A> &nbsp; &nbsp;\n");
echo("<A href=\"/login.php\"><FONT color=#0033FF>Sign Out</FONT></A> &nbsp; &nbsp;\n");
if (isset($_SESSION['access']) && $_SESSION['access'] == 0) {
echo("</FONT></TR></TR><TR><TD colspan=2 align=center><FONT size=-1>\n");
echo("<A href=\"/admin.php\"><FONT color=#0033FF>Admin Panel</FONT></A>\n");
}
echo("</FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>\n\n");
}
}
?>
stathis

Postby PostBot on Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:53 am

you can't start session - that code is executed after some html was already sent.

and variable $AuthOptional isn't set because tpl file is executed inside function so to use global variables you need to declare it as global.

so that script will always exit and try to redirect to /login.php
PostBot

Postby bucky716 on Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:40 pm

after installing extreme styles, nothing shows up now on my msgboard index page except the header and footer. what happened!! i can view other forums just fine, just not the index. :(

http://www.wnysor.net/msgboard
bucky716

Postby PostBot on Sat Jan 31, 2004 11:55 pm

weird. try to reupload index_body.tpl
PostBot

Next

Return to eXtreme Styles mod tutorials