includes/template.php -- I'm Nervous About Overwriting This

Tutorials for <a href="http://www.phpbbstyles.com/viewtopic.php?t=356">eXtreme Styles mod</a> for phpBB 2.0.

Moderator: Moderators

includes/template.php -- I'm Nervous About Overwriting This

Postby ignorantnewguy on Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:27 am

The only file I haven't FTP'd is this one: includes/template.php

Everything else was an included file that was not already present in phpBB.

This one appears to already be there. It's size in the eXtreme Styles MOD is 65 KB. The one already in place on my site is smaller.

Any idea what will happen if I overwrite this file?

Thx,
Scott 8)
ignorantnewguy

Postby Splinter on Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:32 am

As long as you have no mods installed that makes changes to template.php everything will be fine.

XS needs the new template.php to work properly and it adds a lot of enhancements.

Best bet is to make a backup of the old file (you should always do that anyway!) and then replace it.
Splinter
Coder
Coder

Postby DoubleJ on Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:08 am

[quote user="Splinter" post="78304"]As long as you have no mods installed that makes changes to template.php everything will be fine.

XS needs the new template.php to work properly and it adds a lot of enhancements.

Best bet is to make a backup of the old file (you should always do that anyway!) and then replace it.[/quote]
If it fails you can also redownload the phpBB package and upload the old template.php from it.
But there is not much to worry about, since, from what I know, very little mods edit the template.php file.
It never hurts to help.....
[ My phpBB Mods and Styles ]
My Mod: [ Simple Shoutbox Mod ]
[ DoubleJWeb ] [ Get Opera ]
DoubleJ

Postby ignorantnewguy on Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:21 pm

Thanks, guys.

Yeah, I don't recall ever having touched the template.php file for any MOD, so I'm thinking I'm safe.

Scott
ignorantnewguy

Extreme style admin_xs.php does not exist

Postby moonwarp on Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:50 am

Hi there,
I was about to install the extreme style mod when I noticed that I did not have a admin_xs.php file anywhere in any one of my styles in my directory.

Should I just create one?
I have read th einstructons twice but there is no mention of this unless I've missed it somewhere.

I have tried installing this for over a week now but have only just find time to do it.

A quick reply would help me a lot as I've been without sleep for the past 4 days.

Thanks a lot.

Joe
moonwarp

Postby UseLess on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:06 am

Greetings,

The file 'admin_xs.php' should be in the 'admin' dir.
Movie Quote:
It's not the years honey, it's the mileage...

I do not provide any install services for phpBB, Mods or Styles.
Please do not pm me for support/scripting help - you won't get any reply. If you have a question then make a post in the appropriate forum.
UseLess

Postby moonwarp on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:10 am

Wow thanks for that super fast reply, but I checked and double checked and it aint there, but I go and check again.

Thanks very much :D

Back in a sec

Joe
moonwarp

Postby moonwarp on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:16 am

Back again,

The closest I can ocme to it is two file one is called xs_header.php and th eother is xs_footer.php and that's it no more.

Joe
moonwarp

Postby UseLess on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:17 am

Greetings,

You should be looking in the 'admin' dir in the root of the forum and NOT in the 'templates/<style name>/admin' dir. And have you read this: viewtopic.php?t=8578
Movie Quote:

Please do not pm me for support/scripting help - you won't get any reply. If you have a question then make a post in the appropriate forum.
UseLess

Postby moonwarp on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:29 am

Hi again,

No I can assure you that file is not anywhere in any directory I have used a 'file find' program and I have started form the centre of the earth worked my way up to the crust then the limstone, and soil straight to the roots and still can't find it :(

It will have to wait untl tomorrow now as I can't stay awake any longer, I've even had my son looking for it and he can't find it either ???

Thanks for all of the prompt replies, you guys are A1, the other php support groupsshould take a leaf out of oyur book, or should that be root :D

Goodnight all

Catch you tomorrow

Joe
moonwarp

Postby UseLess on Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:50 am

Greetings,

Well if you cannot find the file in your forum 'admin/' dir then you have not installed the XS Mod correctly and or have not uploaded all the files. Read the link I gave in my previous post as that explains how to install it.
Movie Quote:

UseLess

Thanks a lot

Postby moonwarp on Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:07 am

Hi there,

Thanks a lot for that, I'll tell you where I went wrong:-

After unpacking the zip I seen 4 folders:-

Admin
Includes
Language
Xs-Mod

I opened up mt FTP program and I could see all of the above folders except the Xs_Mod, I read the instructions and understood that all I had to do was to replace the Admin folder form my unzipped folder to the Amin folder on my server, then the same for the rest of the folders, but as I could not see a Xs_Mod I stopped.
I am new to php and therfore very cautious. I was convinced that there should have been an existing folder in my php folder on my server, hence my original question.

I have done it now as it is working like a dream so than you very much you are anything but Useless :D

I have only two problems now, I cannot restore my database even though I can back it up, and I cannot get the simple image uploader to work on the helius theme, that too work great on every other theme except helius.

I don't expect any help for them two as I may be in the wrong forum here, but your have solved my greatest need so again thank you and the rest.

Joe
moonwarp

Return to eXtreme Styles mod tutorials