This is a summary which explains limitations of free phpBB hosting, as a lot of people have questions but are unable to act upon them due to free hosting.
Very Important General Note
phpBBStyles does not;
- have anything to do with hosting forums other than to provide some styles and some mods which are used by some free hosts, which is why there is probably a link back to this site from your Admin Control Panel.
- therefore no one here has any access to install or fix things, see below for more information.
- Styles are limited to ones that your host has decided to upload for you to use. Therefore you will not be able to upload a custom style you just downloaded.
- phpBB Modifications, known as MOD's are installed by altering the phpBB system files and any style templates you have installed. You will require FTP access in order to install them, therefore as the Free package denies you FTP access you will not be able to make the neccasary changes.
- phpBB problems, such as phpBB errors, SQL errors you can not fix. This maybe due to an error your hosts side, an error in the php side which you are unable to fix as it requires you to "in most" cases edit the php files
- You will be unable to alter the appearance of the forum eg; adding some custom text, or image as you wont have access to the files.
- You will not be able to upload custom ranks, as this will require FTP access
- Your forum will have advertisements on it and you most likely will be unable to remove them.
- Database backups / utilities will be disabled for security reasons. If you really wish for a backup, you will need to contact your host, who hosts your forum.
- If you have a phpBB or php error, the host will most likely be able to fix it.
- Sometimes hosts will upload the skin you want to use. Note 'sometimes' as this depends on the host.
- Usually hosts do not allow requests to install MODs, however, some hosts already have MODs installed.
- There are some free hosts which do offer free FTP access along with SQL databases and PHP.
- By far the best solution would be to buy a hosting package (this will usually involve you parting with some money), with php and an SQL database (mySQL, MS SQL etc...) and install phpBB manually, that way you will have access to the phpBB system files/template files, SQL and you can modify phpBB in anyway you wish.
- Take a look on http://www.webhostingtalk.com for host discussion. Alternatively, take a look at the genreal discussion forum on this very site.
- Head here and download phpBB: http://www.phpbb.com/downloads.php to install on your new host
- Head here to read our FAQ forum addressing many issues regarding running your phpBB board: viewforum.php?f=23
Some of the most popular free forum hosts are located below. Even if your host is not listed below, it does not matter, take a look at that site and if the service appears to be the same as the one you signed up to on another site you are on a free host.
Also if the URL for your forum has this in it;
- Code: Select all
where the = is followed by the name of your forum, then your on a free host that is using a single installation of phpBB and multiple databases and you will not have access to the files to alter anything as detailed above.