HELP! Forum being spammed

Conventional discussion only. No politics, religion and other topics that might cause conflicts.
Strictly appropriate discussions only, meaning spammers and trolls will be banned on first offense.

Moderator: Moderators

HELP! Forum being spammed

Postby Werner on Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:01 pm

Yes, I've never had this happen before but we recently purchased a web server and it came with a professional phpBB forum. Its very nice but we just recently started getting spammed with all kinds of crude messages and inappropriate advertisements. What can we do about this other than require e-mail registration?

Thanks
Werner

Postby kvfb97 on Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:23 pm

Tip: Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
kvfb97

Re: HELP! Forum being spammed

Postby deny on Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:34 pm

[quote user="Werner" post="88317"]Yes, I've never had this happen before but we recently purchased a web server and it came with a professional phpBB forum. Its very nice but we just recently started getting spammed with all kinds of crude messages and inappropriate advertisements. What can we do about this other than require e-mail registration?

Thanks[/quote]

You can install a couple antibot mods that will reduce spam to 1% on your board.
Try to find some of them on official phpbb board and phpbbhacks
deny

Postby halomaster2437 on Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:40 am

Sup,

I remember when I had this problem.. you could turn up the flood session to like 60... so they have to wait one minute per post... And then get some good moderators that can delete the posts. Therefore the spammers would have to register new E-mail, Account verify, and then wait 1 minute per post. Then of course you could delete the post, and ban their account in that amount of time.

Downside: Your user's wont post as much because of flood session, but if your board is active then get some moderators.

Usually the basic SPAM mods will get rid of the bots, and some more. But in my memory that doesn't do everything.
halomaster2437

Return to Regular Discussion