user friendly urls.

Conventional discussion only. No politics, religion and other topics that might cause conflicts.
Strictly appropriate discussions only, meaning spammers and trolls will be banned on first offense.

Moderator: Moderators

user friendly urls.

Postby Link on Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:27 pm

My site is database driven and the url currently look like this; www.domain.com/?fe=view&id=100.
So i was thinking of using .htaccess to make the urls more user friendly, but i don't know which way to make my links look.

I could the content id like, www.domain.com/content/100, or the file-name, www.domain.com/name-of-content?

Sometimes that will cause problems if you have two content files with the same name, so would it be better to have both the id and name of the content file, I.E www.domain.com/100/name-of-content?
I kind of got round to it by specifing which section the content belonged in like /site/name-of-content.

Any ideas of the best route to take?
Link

Postby PostBot on Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:42 pm

I suggest to assign keywords to every content page instead of id and use domain.com/keyword.html. Its short and very easy for users to remember.
Do NOT pm me, I don't visit this forum anymore, don't own it, don't provide any support and don't moderate.
PostBot

Postby Link on Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:22 pm

Hmm well i was going to use domain.com/site/98/links, but it's better to use domain.com/site/links?
Link

Postby PostBot on Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:29 pm

Whatever works for you. I think having ids in url doesn't look good from visitor's point of view.
Do NOT pm me, I don't visit this forum anymore, don't own it, don't provide any support and don't moderate.
PostBot

Re: user friendly urls.

Postby Khatab on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:46 am

SEO friendly URLs should be aimed at humans to encourage click throughs. They should not be aimed at search engines to influence rankings.
Khatab

Return to Regular Discussion