i need your help !

Conventional discussion only. No politics, religion and other topics that might cause conflicts.
Strictly appropriate discussions only, meaning spammers and trolls will be banned on first offense.

Moderator: Moderators

i need your help !

Postby nicky1990june on Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:07 pm

i've created a forum and everything works pretty good but i don't know how to add a banner to the site.. isn't that possible with a free account??
I hope someone can help me =)
~nicky
nicky1990june

Postby PostBot on Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:41 am

Do NOT pm me, I don't visit this forum anymore, don't own it, don't provide any support and don't moderate.
PostBot

Postby nicky1990june on Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:21 pm

english is not my first language.. so if i got this article right i can only instal banners if i pay for my forum.. right ?
nicky1990june

Postby Case on Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:39 pm

yep. if you pay for your hosting, you can install normal phpBB and make as many custom changes as you want to it. :)
[size="9"]The Dope Spot - Urban Music Forum[/size]
Case

Postby PostBot on Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:28 pm

No. If you pay to company you are using for free forum hosting you'll probably just get rid of ads.

Get normal hosting, install normal phpBB (don't confuse it with phpbb hosts, like you are using right now. phpbb is a software, not some host). This should help you understand how to do it: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=174911
Do NOT pm me, I don't visit this forum anymore, don't own it, don't provide any support and don't moderate.
PostBot

Postby nicky1990june on Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:50 am

hey... i'm really sorry but i still don't get how to add a banner................
i went through the tutorials that seemed matching to me BUT .. still as "clever" as before :roll:

to give you an example , i want to add a banner like this :
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/ ... umjpeg.jpg
to my forum, i also have the HTML tag and the image code.. if that matters :wink:

.. and i have an unpaid forum with a morpheus style :
http://matthewfox.foren-city.de/

If you are not totally stressed out by me could you PLEAAAASE help ! a banner would make my forum so much better ! :D
nicky1990june

Postby Case on Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:06 am

As we said above, you need to pay for your hosting.

Buy some webspace, install phpbb yourself, then you can change your banner (and anything else you like).

If you use those free forum hosts then you normally can't change anything.
[size="9"]The Dope Spot - Urban Music Forum[/size]
Case

Postby nicky1990june on Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:50 am

okay thank you :) i just thought because of Cyberallien's posts

No. If you pay to company you are using for free forum hosting you'll probably just get rid of ads.

Get normal hosting, install normal phpBB (don't confuse it with phpbb hosts, like you are using right now. phpbb is a software, not some host). This should help you understand how to do it: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=174911

that it would be somehow possible :wink: thanks anyway !!!!!!
nicky1990june

Postby nicky1990june on Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:10 am

i have another problem with the forum.. i guess this thread is going to be my regular help thread :wink:
a user had problems with visiting the forum via firefox , here is the message she posted

Users message wrote:Last night I tried to enter this forum using Firefox as always and I got this message;

If you can see this, it means that the installation of the Apache web server software on this system was successful. You may now add content to this directory and replace this page.
Seeing this instead of the website you expected?

This page is here because the site administrator has changed the configuration of this web server. Please contact the person responsible for maintaining this server with questions. The Apache Software Foundation, which wrote the web server software this site administrator is using, has nothing to do with maintaining this site and cannot help resolve configuration issues.

The Apache documentation is available online or has been installed locally.

You are free to use the image below on an Apache-powered web server. Thanks for using Apache!

Since then this website won't open using Firefox (I keep getting the same message) but it still works if I use Internet Explorer.However, all the other websites work fine....Any idea???Can anybody help???

:roll: i have absolutely no idea how to repair it.. if it's possible?
nicky1990june

Postby DoubleJ on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:32 pm

First of all, this site does not offer support for freehosted forum such as yours.

You should contact the support section of your host. http://support.foren-city.de/ that link leads you to the support forum, of your forum host. All support regarding your forum, hosted there should be directed to them.

If you buy hosting(which means, domain hosting space and such) your are capable of installing your own phpBB on this. When you do this, you are capable of adding your own styles, mods and logos as you please, as there is no service restricting you from doing so.

So sry, but we cannot help you here with the issue.
It never hurts to help.....
[ My phpBB Mods and Styles ]
My Mod: [ Simple Shoutbox Mod ]
[ DoubleJWeb ] [ Get Opera ]
DoubleJ

Postby nicky1990june on Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:58 pm

okay I AM sorry ... i'm really not good with iNet stuff (+english........ :roll: ) and there was a link to this board on my administration panel soo.. i thought this place would be the support forum for my forum.. anyway.
i REALLY want to know how much it costs to have a paid forum now ^^ goood market strategy guys: confuse the enemy till he/she is ready to pay !! lol just joking ^^ more or less.
AND is it difficult to handle ?? that was a dumb question ? i know :? ^^
my final question : how do i get such a paid account??? do i have to call a hotline ? or what?
would be AMAZING if you could help me another time. really. :P
nicky1990june

Postby UseLess on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:29 pm

Greetings,

Read the post linked to above by CyberAlien (2nd post down) and the reason there is a link back to here in your ACP is explained in point 1 of the Very Important General Note.

Under 'normal' circumstances your correct this would be the place to get help with the style. However, as your forum is hosted on a free service you don't have access to the files to change anything, therefore any help we may be able to give you is useless as you cannot change anything. Only the host can install styles, mods etc.

If your thinking about getting your own hosting the do a Google for 'web hosting' (without the ' obviously) and then take your pick from the hundreds of companies out there who provide web hosting. But remember you want a hosting service that meets or exceeds the minimum requirements of phpBB, otherwise you won't be able to use phpBB.
Movie Quote:
It's not the years honey, it's the mileage...

I do not provide any install services for phpBB, Mods or Styles.
Please do not pm me for support/scripting help - you won't get any reply. If you have a question then make a post in the appropriate forum.
UseLess

Postby nicky1990june on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:47 pm

wow thank you !!!!!
i checked it and there are . like.. 1000s of sites ! :shock:
can someone give me an advice of a few good hosting pages ? :wink:
OMG i'm soo bad at this. :? SORRY :(
nicky1990june

Return to Regular Discussion